So, what is podcasting? It is simply a form of digital broadcasting. These podcasts are downloaded from the internet so that they can be listened to. The thing that makes a podcast great is that people can subscribe to them so that when a new podcast is available for download.
How can this play in to a marketing plan? It is true that podcasting is not right for every business, but if it will work for the product or services that you provide, I would highly recommend it. Podcast usually come as a series of related topics, but you do not have to stick to this method for your marketing plan. Podcasts can be used to describe new products or services, or it can be used to market your company in general. One other reason that I will recommend podcasting as a marketing tool is because of statistics. On average, a person will stay on a website for about 2-3 minutes, while people who listen to a podcast stay engaged for around 20 minutes (depending on the length of the podcast). This creates a great opportunity to sale your business and your products.
- Podcasts do not just have to be audio…they can also include video.
- The technology allows for use on mobile devices, so you can reach a greater number of individuals.
- Consumers can subscribe to the podcasts.
- Podcasts can easily be intertwined with your website and social media accounts.
- Podcasts allow you to connect with your customers on a more personal level. By being able to hear the emotion behind the voice is more effective than words on a page.
- Podcasts are not right for every type of business.
- The bandwidth needed to run a podcast series can be costly if you do not already have access to it.
- You must continually create new and interesting content to keep your listeners engaged.
- Podcasts are not seen as usual marketing platform, so gaining interest may be difficult to begin with.
- The person who is making the recordings must have the passion for your product or service that you want your customers to have.
What it comes down to is brand awareness. You are not just selling a product or service, but your business in general, and this is great way to do it; as long as you have the resources and the desire to step outside of the box when it comes to your marketing plan.