Insights for the Fall from Mary Meeker’s 2019 Internet Trends Report
The summer is a peak season for digital and internet specialists. While we don’t normally associate these warm months and hot sunny days with the technology industry, there is an almost overwhelming amount of conferences, conventions, and information releases that take place. Fortunately, we can spend the beautiful summer days to sift through all of these details for application and practice during the remainder of the year.
One of the biggest names in the world of internet technology is that of venture capitalist, Mary Meeker. She is most known for her annual ‘Internet Trends Report’. Based on its reliable track record in anticipating trends in marketing, stocks, purchasing, and internet usage, It is released every summer.
For those of you who don’t use Meeker’s name on a daily basis, we’ll give you a quick rundown on the “Queen of the Internet”.
Who Is Mary Meeker?
There isn’t a shortlist of Mary Meeker’s career highlights because, arguably, every step of her career has generously impacted the industry. Some of her foremost achievements are:
- 1981 DePauw University B.S.
- 1986 Cornell University M.B.A.
- Merrill Lynch stockbroker
- Morgan Stanley analyst
- Annual ‘Internet Trends Report’ beginning in 1995
- Lead Management Team for Google IPO in 2004
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers partner from 2010-2018
- Executive Board member for Docusign, Square Inc., and Lending Club
- Released ‘USA Inc.’ government business analysis in 2011
- Founder and partner of venture capitalist firm, Bond Capital, since 2018
In her Internet Trends Reports, Meeker has also supported the now-proven success of the following stocks: Dell, Microsoft, Intuit, Netscape, AOL, Amazon, Yahoo, eBay, and Google.
2019 Trend Breakdown
While much of Meeker’s analysis is centered around statistics and information, she does release her own educated assumptions and predictions based on the hard facts she gathers. Fortunately, for us, this leaves us with information that can track what will be best for you, your consumers, and your partners.
Based on her research, these are six of the biggest trends within the realm of digital marketing:
- 51% of the world was active on the internet in 2018
- One-quarter of adults were “almost constantly online”
- Images are driving online communications; over half of Twitter impressions involve images
- Internet ad spending increased by 22% in 2018
- American digital media usage increased 7%, an average of 6.3 hours per day
- Advertising is an increasingly expertised area due to a rise in industry regulation
Application within the Industry
With these key insights from Meeker’s 2019 report, the industry cannot only address the needs of the consumers but also improve the market for your business. Understanding user outreach, engagement, and retention to adapt current practices will boost your business’s success and longevity.
New precedents have been set based on the statistics mentioned. Look into the best ways to integrate this information into your strategy, whether that’s through high-quality photos, targeted videos, intentional branding, or another aspect of digital marketing. Operating with the trend application in mind will not only improve profits but can also provide heightened accessibility measures for new and existing market segments.
As Meeker addressed, the marketing industry is becoming more specialized and expert-oriented. Don’t settle for ‘good enough’ when there are digital marketing experts out there with the knowledge and know-how to get you in front of the right audience.