From planning your next vacation destination to designing your dream home, Pinterest is a great way to waste time online. However, in addition to alleviating online boredom, the popular social bookmarking site offers many unique tools to boost SEO. Since Pinterest creates new ways of having your content found and shared, optimizing your Pinterest presence is a great way to improve your rankings in the search engines. If you want to reap the full ranking benefits of Pinterest, here are a few tips for using the addictive social media site to increase your SEO:
- Content is King: As with any other social media site, sharing new and unique content is the backbone of Pinterest. Since the SERPS take into account how many times a piece of content is liked, re-pinned and shared, it is important you pin engaging material that’s relevant, interesting, or useful to your audience. Whether you’re sharing blog posts, shots of products, or images of your office, Pinterest is a great way to reach out to a massive audience without requiring a great deal of effort.
- Build Backlinks: As mentioned above, Pinterest exponentially grows the viewership of content pinned. In the process it also creates a huge amount of backlinking to your website. Since search engines generate page rankings by taking into account the number of outside links that lead people to your site, a backlink is an invaluable thing to have. While a backlink is created every time you pin an image from your website, you can also insert links into the captions of your Pinterest posts so that a new backlink is created every time someone re-pins your image.
- Add Keywords:
- a. Use hashtags and keywords in the description of your pins to increase visibility and exposure. Also make sure you have keyword-specific board names and keyword-dense board descriptions. If possible, it’s beneficial to include keywords in your username as well.
- b. If you upload your own image ad keywords to the file name and make sure it contains your targeted key phrase (for example DSC0119 won’t rank as well as Social-Media-Icon.jpg).
- c. In addition to providing a way for people to find your content, keyword targeting will bring your Pinterest page up in the rankings for those keywords – which increases the value of backlinks and ultimately further boosts your SEO.
- Build followers: Assemble a network of Pinterest users who like and re-pin posts. Growing your followers will cause the content that you share to spread further and faster, which greatly increases the SEO of the linked website. Also, make sure to follow back anyone who follows you, as it will cause you to be recommended to other users and further help grow your number of followers.
- Share your pins with your other social networks: Drive more people to your Pinterest profile and encourage engagement by letting your other networks know that you’re on Pinterest. Share your profile (and occasional pins) on your other social profiles and vice-versa.
When optimizing your Pinterest presence, it’s important to remember to be yourself and keep it personal. Don’t pin solely business-related content, share images you like and re-pin images from others. Furthermore, though keywords are powerful on Pinterest, they should be subtly included into the captions of your pins without losing the pin description. If you opt for simply loading keywords into your pin’s description (rather than actually describing the image) it may come off as spammy, and turn users away. Keeping this in mind while simultaneously employing the above techniques will help you reap the full ranking benefits of Pinterest. Happy Pinning!